When Science Fiction Comes True

Discuss all types of Computer & Internet related issues here... You can ask your problems here as well..
vinay

When Science Fiction Comes True

Postby vinay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:09 pm

I love watching sci-fi films and seeing worlds with insanely cool and convenient technologies. As I get older I see more and more of these becoming fact. Here are 10 examples of things I once considered science fiction.

1. Moon travel

1902’s A Trip to the Moon is considered the first sci-fi movie ever made. At the time the story of astronauts blasting off a bullet-shaped ship to visit the local moon residents was far-fetched fiction.

2. Replicators

A machine with the ability to quickly make a copy of physical objects was an idea that science fiction called replicators. While today’s 3D printers take longer than in the realm of fiction, the reality is here.

3. Self-tying shoes

A memorable invention seen in the Back to the Future trilogy was Marty McFly's self-tying shoes. Thirty years later Nike have introduced a pair of shoes that do just that.

4. Submarines

Science fiction writer Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea predicted the submarine all the way back in 1869. Nowadays it’s a no-brainer that we navigate the seas with a submarine, although they're not as chic as Verne’s vision of dining rooms and paintings.

5. Cybernetic reading

While not as invasive as brain implants, in Singapore researchers are working on a device to be implanted in your finger and ear. This device allows word recognition and oral translation. A dream-come-true for those with poor sight.

Return to “Technology Updates”

INTERESTING NEWS